Today Show Awareness Campaign

Friday, December 14, 2012

Innocence Lost


We first realized that my daughter had Cold Urticaria when she was eight years old following a severe reaction. We attended many doctor's appointments, subjected her to many tests and a surgery that was intended to help but did not. TLC dealt with many reactions that caused much pain, burning and itching. Some doctors laughed at us when told that she was diagnosed with an allergy to cold. Teachers were impossible to deal with. It was difficult on TLC with the development of relationships with her friends. She could not go out to places they did or do some of the things that they did.
 
One night while scared of a storm, TLC crawled in bed with me. We talked a while and sat quietly for what seemed forever. Then the question that pierced my heart, the one I will never forget, she asked, “mommy, if moms know everything, why don't you know how to fix me?” I was broken hearted, because I tried my best to get answers, a diagnosis, a cure. I was broken hearted, because I felt as though I had let my ten year old down. After a few moments of tears and silence, all I could tell her was, “you know, I used to think that doctors knew everything too.” Her innocence was gone, so was mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment